Note from the Executive Director
CBL Newsletter | Summer 2022
We are excited about the new academic year at UC Hastings. This year, Professor Abraham Cable will take over as the new CBL Faculty Director and Professor Jared Ellias will transition as our first CBL Affiliated Scholar given his new appointment at Harvard Law School. The mission of CBL remains the same: to bring together leading scholars, business leaders, practitioners, regulators, and students to engage in the study, teaching and practice of business law at UC Hastings. The plan is to keep expanding our research, programs and events to add value to both UC Hastings and the SF/Bay Area business community.
A few items to highlight:
- On September 20th, we will be hosting the CBL 2022 Kick-Off and Happy Hour at the Skydeck of the Cotchett Law Center, from 5-7pm. Please join us for this event! You can register here.
- The CBL Scholars Program is growing. We will be selecting our third cohort of students from the incoming 1L class. We would like to thank the amazing support from our sponsors Orrick, Gunderson Dettmer, Freshfields and DCVC, plus some leading UC Hastings alumni that have contributed individually.
- We have a live Unicorn Initiative website, highlighting exits at unicorn companies. This is the product of a joint research project with the Brattle Group.
- We will be hosting a CBL Lunch Speaker Series this Fall, so if you’re a student at UC Hastings please stay tuned on guest speakers coming to campus!
- On November 3rd we will co-host the 5th annual SF Economic Forecast program, a joint initiative between the UCLA Anderson Forecast team and UC Hastings. The conference will include a panel of experts representing law firms, public and private sectors, and academia to discuss how a potential recession affects some of the latest trends in environmental, social and governance (ESG) matters. Registration will open soon.
- We have partnered with UC Berkeley for the Independent Director Initiative, a foray into director education that bolsters our current involvement in this space supporting the Latino Corporate Director Association.
If you are interested to learn more about CBL’s research, programs or events please register in our mailing list. If you want to partner with us and/or become a CBL sponsor, please reach out to me directly at email@example.com. If you would like to donate, you can always do so in our donation link. Thank you very much in advance for your support!
Executive Director of the Center for Business Law, and Adjunct Professor,
UC Hastings College of the Law