Corporate Counsel Externship Program
GENERAL PROGRAM INFORMATION
UC Hastings’ Corporate Counsel Externship Program provides the opportunity for second and third-year students to earn academic credit based on training in corporate counsel offices of for-profit and non-profit companies. Second and third-year law students may participate in the spring. The on-site learning helps students build their knowledge so they
can become practice-ready business attorneys. Students will learn how in-house attorneys collaborate and communicate with the company client, and how to incorporate the client’s unique mission, business, and industry context into their legal advice. Supervising attorneys guide, train, provide feedback, and mentor the student through the semester.
The on-site learning is supported and enhanced in the classroom. Students are enrolled in a weekly seminar that teaches the role of corporate counsel, integral lawyering competencies, and the ability to self-develop and learn from practice.
The Corporate Counsel Externship Seminar is two units, C/NC. Students will earn 4-5 Corporate Counsel Fieldwork units for 16-20/hours per week of work at their placements. Students will work at their placements for a minimum of 12 weeks. All credits qualify as experiential.
TIMELINE FOR SPRING 2021
- September 30 – Initial applications must be submitted by 5pm.
- September 30 – October 7 – Professor Nira Geevargis will reach out to applicants to discuss the program, partner placements and/or application materials. Students may be required to meet with Professor Geevargis via phone or video chat.
- October 12 – Final Cover Letter submissions due – Final cover letters for these placements are due by October 12. The Career Development Office will be available this week to assist you with finalizing these letters.
- October 14 – The partner companies are provided the materials of applying students. Only a few students will be passed to each partner company for interviews.
- October 15-16 – Interview Set up – The partner companies will reach out to applicants to set up video chat interviews or decline their application.
- Weeks of October 19-30 – Partner Interviews – Partner organizations will conduct interviews.
- November 6 – Final Confirmation – Students for Spring 2021 will be notified of their placement. Selected students will complete any necessary background checks over the winter.
- January 11 – Fall Semester begins – Most students will begin work at their partner company during this week.
- Students need to be a 2L or 3L students in good academic standing.
- Students cannot be participating in a concurrent live-client or work experience (i.e. clinic, externship, Start-Up Legal Garage, or legal work).
- Students need to be enthusiastic, open-minded, and dedicated.
For more information contact:
Associate Clinical Professor & Director of Externship Programs
UC Hastings College of the Law