Corporate Counsel Externship Program
Spring 2023 Corporate Counsel Externship Program–Applications Available Now
GENERAL PROGRAM INFORMATION
UC Hastings’ Corporate Counsel Externship Program provides second and third-year students the opportunity to earn academic credit based on training in pre-vetted corporate counsel offices of for-profit and non-profit companies. The typical on-site learning helps students build their legal skills and knowledge so they can become practice-ready business attorneys. Now done remotely, students will learn how in-house attorneys collaborate and communicate with the company client, and how they incorporate the client’s unique mission, business, and industry context into their legal advice. Supervising attorneys guide, train, mentor, and provide substantive feedback to the student throughout the semester.
The experiential learning is supported and enhanced in the classroom. Students are enrolled in a weekly seminar that teaches the role of corporate counsel, integral lawyering competencies, and the ability to self-develop and learn from practice.
The Corporate Counsel Externship Seminar is two units, C/NC. Students will earn 4-5 Corporate Counsel Fieldwork units for 16-20/hours per week of work at their placements. Students will work at their placements for a minimum of 12 weeks. All credits qualify as experiential.
- Students must be a 2L or 3L in good academic standing at time of application
- In the fall, only 3L students can participate.
- In the spring, 2L and 3L student can participate.
- Students cannot be participating in a concurrent live-client or work experience (i.e. clinic, externship, Start-Up Legal Garage, or legal work).
- Students must be enthusiastic, open-minded, and dedicated.
- Students must have met with CDO to review a resume and cover letter for a 45-minute appointment before submitting an application.
- Students must read the Spring 2023 Student Info Packet and understand the commitment and requirements, including enrollment in a weekly seminar, before submitting an application.
STUDENT INFORMATION PACKET & APPLICATION
The packet includes:
- General program information
- Application timeline
- Student requirements
- Information provided by each partner company, including a description of: the organization, the legal team, anticipated extern projects, mentorship opportunities, and other requirements. Companies are listed alphabetically.
APPLICATION TIMELINE FOR SPRING 2023
CLICK HERE TO REVIEW PLACEMENT SURVEYS FROM PREVIOUS STUDENT EXTERNS.
For more information contact:
Associate Clinical Professor & Director of Externship Programs
UC Hastings College of the Law